Soap Collaborating | Mother & Daughter

Starting off the new year with the Amy Warden’s Great Cakes Soapworks Soap Challenge! This month is Soap Collaboration.   I loved doing this soap with my daughter, Ashley.   Here is a post of how it was done.

First I prepped the oils and lye mixture ahead of time.  When everything where the temperature I wanted, Ashley joined me and watched as I did the mixing just to workable stage.  Not quite trace.

Ashley took over the pouring and coloring portion of this soap.  She decided to do a gradient design.  Which was surprising to me because she doesn’t soap with me at all.  I’m still wondering where she got the gradient idea from as I haven’t tried this technique as of yet.   So we separated the green and white for the piping portion.  And the base was used as a whole and colored again after each pour to achieve the gradient effect in the photo below.

So we separated the green and white for the piping portion.  And the base was used as a whole and colored again and again after each pour to achieve the gradient effect in the photo below.

img_0136

We used Mad Oil micas with an addition of ground cloves in the last upper layer as well as titanium dioxide for the white portion.  There is a video at the end of this post to see how it was all put together.  We sort of worked on the colors together and I was preparing the piping while she was finishing up the last layers.

img_0129

Once the last layer was poured, I piped the white soap the way I liked it.  And then Ashley took over the rest of the decorating.  She had piped the little embeds the day before, so they were ready to be placed on top.  The green vines were piped last.  As you can see from the photo above…. she is quite happy with her creation!

img_0135

 

I have to admit… I really think she did a great job!  The soap was easy to unmold after 24+ hours.  The recipe used was my own personal favorite which included Cocoa Butter, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil as well as Goat’s Milk.   The fragrance used was Pomegranate and Sweet Orange.  It’s a lovely scent that was given to me by Ashley as a Christmas gift!

Thanks so much for stopping in.  Watch how the soap was made in the video below!

 

Soap Challenge: Tiger Stripes

For the December 2016 Great Cakes Soapworks challenge, I decided on the Dragon’s Blood fragrance oil from WSP.   And three colors: red, white, and black. (perfect for Dragon’s Blood.  Don’t you think?)

The technique is pretty straight forward.  Incorporate a tiger stripe into your design.  My soap is a simple one using the whole soap batch and pouring from one side and holding it mostly from one angle.  img_20161211_112648-01

The soap batter needs to be the perfect consistency.  If it is too runny or too thick it will make the outcome of the pour less than desirable.   This batch worked fairly well for me.  I tried another batch using the tiger striped technique using several different colors.  It was a lot like Goldy Locks and The Three Bears.  One color was too runny, another was just plain

I had tried another batch using this tiger striped technique using several different colors.  It was a lot like Goldy Locks and The Three Bears.  One color was too runny, another was just plain gloppy, and the third was just about right.  So I know that the consistency of the soap batter is extremely important!

Even though this batch was poured fairly evenly you will notice there seems to be three separate pours in the finished soap bar.  I’m not sure how I managed that. But the Tiger Stripes came out rather nicely.

img_20161211_113139-01

I will be giving this technique another try soon.