Soap Challenge: Tiger Stripes

For the December 2016 Great Cakes Soapworks challenge, I decided on the Dragon’s Blood fragrance oil from WSP.   And three colors: red, white, and black. (perfect for Dragon’s Blood.  Don’t you think?)

The technique is pretty straight forward.  Incorporate a tiger stripe into your design.  My soap is a simple one using the whole soap batch and pouring from one side and holding it mostly from one angle.  img_20161211_112648-01

The soap batter needs to be the perfect consistency.  If it is too runny or too thick it will make the outcome of the pour less than desirable.   This batch worked fairly well for me.  I tried another batch using the tiger striped technique using several different colors.  It was a lot like Goldy Locks and The Three Bears.  One color was too runny, another was just plain

I had tried another batch using this tiger striped technique using several different colors.  It was a lot like Goldy Locks and The Three Bears.  One color was too runny, another was just plain gloppy, and the third was just about right.  So I know that the consistency of the soap batter is extremely important!

Even though this batch was poured fairly evenly you will notice there seems to be three separate pours in the finished soap bar.  I’m not sure how I managed that. But the Tiger Stripes came out rather nicely.

img_20161211_113139-01

I will be giving this technique another try soon.

Soap Packaging…

I have already wrapped plenty of soap for the month of June… and yet, I am still wrapping soaps!  Don’t get me wrong… I don’t mind wrapping the soaps or even making the soaps.  It’s the clean up I’m not too fond of.  😉  I had my toddler visit me in my craft room and he wanted to use my hole puncher to “cut paper”.  So I had tiny paper circles (along with my pile of papers) all over my floor! It kept him happy so I could keep working.  There’s nothing wrong with that.  Cut away!

Here are a couple of pics of todays wrap-a-thon.

There are more soaps to wrap…. after a little clean-up first.  😉

New Technique Results

I’ve been in my soap room working on a new technique I’ve recently learned about.  I wanted to share the photos of my results with everyone.

Artisan Soap
Artisan Soap

My first batch was scented with Bubble Gum Phthalate Free fragrance oil.  It’s still a little soft…. but I couldn’t WAIT to cut it!

Artisan Soap with Swirls

The swirls came out pretty nicely considering it was my first go around.  I’m used to cold process where the swirling is a little easier.

 And with these test batches I’ll be able to use up some fragrance oils I’ve got floating around!  Create some more space  so I can fill them up with …. more oils, of course!  😉

My recipe used a good amount of Olive oil.  That would explain the green tint to my bar.  I didn’t have any titanium dioxide mixed and ready so I left that portion alone, but I did want to incorporate a red for the “bubble gum”.    Specifically,   I wanted to test my coloring and swirling technique.  I’m pretty happy with the outcome.  However, I know that I can do better with a little practice.  Now,  I wonder what I’m going to try with my second batch.  Hmm…